What to do for a Domestic Planning Application

If you are unsure of the type of planning application you require or you are unsure if you require a planning application at all, contact your Local Planning Authority (LPA) there are also many sites on the internet that can give you good information and instruction on how to proceed with the process, however the best place is your LPA.

Many LPA’s have a drop-in service where you can chat with the duty planner at their offices, this is normally free of charge. Written advice generally starts at £100 and very rarely exceeds £150. A single meeting with a planner with follow-up written advice of your project will general start at £200 and should not exceed £300. Further written responses are general charged  at £75 to £100 per hour. In many occasions with domestic situations a quick call may not be charged. It must be noted that the fees vary depending on the LPA you are dealing with. Before starting your application consider the following key points;

  • Check what planning application you require, get the wright one for your project
  • Chat with you neighbours and the local parish or the local council in your area, you can discover if a similar project has taken place in the last few years, and they may be aware of any difficulties, it is also best to get your neighbours on your side from the start
  • Look at the local planning policy documents, this can be found in the planning portal of your local authority

What Information is required by the LPA 

  • Design Drawings
  • Supporting documentation
  • Fully completed submission forms to the LPA with the correct fee

Design drawings, they do not have to be fully designed drawings showing complete specification on floors and structure, only an approximate (outline) designed description of you project, showing the footprint of the building, showing the size and type of each room, i.e. bedroom, kitchen or lounge and show a layout of all floor levels (floor plans), access and egress from the property and the boundary of your property.

You will also have to produce drawings elevations of the front and rear of the building. (If it is an extension only one elevation may be required), an additional drawing which may help the LPA with their decision would be a section through the building.

You will also have to produce a local ordinance survey plan showing all the local area, and a plan showing the surrounding properties and land, many LPA’s will require these to be set to a particular scale of 1:1250 and 1:500, these are quite easy to obtain form various web sites.  

Many consider an Architect is the only professional who can produce such drawings, a less expensive option is to contact a designer they can produce the drawings you require and will set them to the correct scales required by the planners. Although a designer is a good option at this stage, building control will require a fully design specification for your project. With this you are ready to submit your completed application form with the correct fees, you should hear back from them within 8 weeks. This is only a brief introduction to a planning application.  Good luck.

Should you require assistance, see our contact details, your first 30minuete call is free. Alternatively contact us at, info@garthconsulting.co.uk

Author; Michael D Hempsey, 1st August 2019

0 thoughts on “What to do for a Domestic Planning Application”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *